Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mum, you are so little ......



Physically, I have quite a small frame.  It is then very mutual to take my son’s comment literally that I was small as he said so, ‘Mum, you are so little.’  Yet, this statement rang differently deeper within a special context when he did say it a few days ago.




IngSong took these photos at a national TV station in 2009,
while I was still serving the less privilege children at a non-profit organization.


After our move from Pathum Thani, near Bangkok in Central Thailand, to Chiang Rai in the north, I figured that our new home with just two small bedrooms and one bath would be a piece of cake for me to manage.  And, that was what I set out to do, with all cooking, cleaning and all the rest.  Weeks went by and things went on quite smoothly, up till I was admitted to Overbrook Hospital for an acute diarrhea.  Having a diarrhea might not be a big thing for others, but that was not the case for me.  With a Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, anything could trigger me to being weak and need extra time to build back my energy reserve.  Taking care of my family with my two own hands appeared to be out the window.  Both my husband and son suggested having a helping hand.  So we did.





With a kind help from our neighbor Orawan Duffee, Aih agreed to work for us two days a week, Monday and Thursday.  Upon her first day at work, I learned that she has helped raise few children whose parents left to work in Bangkok.  Most agreed to support her monthly but things often got clouded and conflicted the flow of the financial support.  At present, she has two that she has raised on her own.  As I heard this, my heart went waxy and immediately went out for her, as my mind quickly went out to figure what I could possibly do to help.  I just could not stop myself, and no one did in time either.  I went over to comfort her, telling her that I admired her loving and caring mission, and would like to do my best to support her.  Of course, those statements brought teary eyes to both Aih and myself.





Our son IngSong observed all these and took the time to allow me to express my passion to Aih.  However, as Aih went out of earshot and on with her work, IngSong gently eased me down on a chair at the dinning table.  I discussed with him what I thought I could do to help this family and he graciously listened to me.  At the right moment, he asked, ‘Mum, would you like to go back and work at the foundation, and help less privilege children again?”  I quickly told him that the thought never crossed my mind for I knew how my health problem has kept me at bay.  Then, IngSong probed one more question, ‘Would you like to start our own foundation?”  “No!”  I quickly affirmed him and added, “I can’t take on commitment and responsibility as I used to, but my heart remains as much the same.  I am cut out to help others.’  IngSong nodded and his eyes showed full understanding.  He hugged me close and said, ‘Mum, you are so little …. But our God is so BIG.”




How true IngSong’s comforting statement is!  My mind has revisited this statement over and over for the past week, as I have been trying to gain back my strength and courage.  Surely, life has its moments!  I now could smile to myself at this very thought, and the fact that IngSong said the other day.   And as little as I seem to be, may I be the right person for the right moment for all, including me!




No comments:

Post a Comment